4 star bed and breakfast bewdley

The Old Town Hall

Bewdley

The main part of Bewdley town is situated on the western bank of the River Severn, including the main street (Load Street) whose name derives from lode, an old word for ferry. Load Street is notable for its width: this is because it once also served as the town's market place. Most of Bewdley's shops and amenities are situated along Load Street, at the top of which lies St Anne's Church, built between 1745 and 1748 by Thomas Woodward of Chipping Campden.

Beyond the church, High Street leads off to the south towards Stourport along the B4194, a road known locally as "the switchback" because of its many undulations. Unlike in many English towns, High Street is so called not because of its importance, but because of its geographical position 'high' above the river. A sandy slope locally known as Bewdley Beach, located on the northern Severn side, is used by local residents as a leisure area. There are several pubs, cafes, and restaurants along the riverside.

On the other side of the church, Welch Gate (so called because it once contained a tollgate on the road towards Wales) climbs steeply up to the west, while a continuation of the B4194 leads northwest towards the Wyre Forest. To the northeast of the town is the wooded hilltop of Wassel Wood in Trimpley, the southern terminus of Shatterford Hill.

bewdley bridge forest bewdley bewdley museum shambles
Weather Today in Worcester


The Old Town Hall Bewdley on facebook